The Heroes of Phandalin
Red Larch has been an important stop on the Long Road for two centuries now. Named for a distinctive stand of red larch trees that were cut down when the hamlet was founded, Red Larch became a settlement in the first place thanks to a drinkable spring that fed a sizable pond ideal for watering horses, oxen, and pack mules.
An east-west trail meets the Long Road at the pond, running west to the logging community of Kheldell and east to Bargewright Inn and eventually Secomber. Another trail leads to quarries in the Sumber Hills and to ruins of stone keeps long ago left to monsters and outlaws (the Haunted Keeps).
In recent years, new quarries have been opened on the northwestern edge of town. So far these have yielded up great slabs of marble much prized in Waterdeep for facing large new buildings and repairing older edifices. Red Larch is also a center for stonecutters quarrying slate on the fringes of the Sumber Hills.
While Red Larch remains prosperous, dark omens are appearing. The heart of the Sumber Hills has become far more dangerous, with monsters lurking seemingly everywhere (no one goes into the hills berrypicking or hare-hunting these days, though Red Larcher children traditionally did so daily in summer and fall). Banditry is on the rise, and the weather seems to be getting more severe and more unpredictable. Several Red Larcher shepherds have seen strange figures watching them from distant hillsides in the wild fields east of town where they have traditionally grazed their flocks. Quarry workers used to cut by torchlight when orders were backing up but do so no longer, shunning the pits by night. They are spooked by rumors of dark-robed figures in stone masks lurking in the darkness beyond the torchlight. The townsfolk fear that dangerous times are at hand, but no one seems to know what to do about it.
Important Places In Red Larch:
1. Allfaiths Shrine (Temple)
2. The Swinging Sword (Inn)
3. The Helm at Highsun (Tavern)
4. Mother Yalantha’s (Boarding House)
5. Thelorn’s Safe Journeys (Wagonmaker)
6. Chansyrl Fine Harness (Leatherworker)
7. Helvur Tarnlar’s (Clothier)
8. Lorren’s (Bakery)
9. Tantur’s (Smithy)
10. Drouth Fine Poultry (Butcher)
11. Jalessa’s (Butcher)
12. Dornen Finestone (Quarry Office)
13. Ironhead Arms (Blacksmith)
14. Mhandyvver’s Poultry (Butcher)
15. Haeleeya’s (Bathhouse/Clothier)
16. Waelvur’s Wagonworks (Wagonmaker)
17. Gaelkur’s (General Store)
18. Mellikho Stoneworks (Quarry)
19. Luruth’s Tannery (Tanner)
20. Bethendur’s Storage (Warehouse)
21. The Market (Market)
22. Vallivoe’s Sundries (General Store)